Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Let's Talk About Catalinas - Offers

If you have shopped at a grocery store (and certain other retailers) and received a check-out coupon after your purchase, you have probably received what is known in couponing as a ‘catalina coupon’. 

Catalina Marketing Corporation is responsible for a majority of these coupons.  Sometimes, you may become aware of Catalina offers because the store will place informational stickers at product locations, informing you of something like,
 $’s Off Your Next Purchase When You Purchase 2’.

At other times, an offer is targeted based on what you buy.  For example, 2 weeks ago I bought a package of Cottenelle toilet paper.  After checking out I received a catalina advisory coupon telling me about an upcoming promotion for this same product:

* “Buy (2) Between July 8 and July 31 - Get $3.50 Coupon Off Your Next Shopping Order”

Using the example of this offer, I started looking for Cottenelle coupons, and found some through the Cottenelle website.  But then last week, I saw a higher value coupon listed in the Sunday coupon insert preview.  By being aware of this offer as well as the upcoming coupon inserts, I was able to plan for purchasing the number of newspapers I needed to complete this deal.

On Sunday I obtained my newspapers, clipped the Cottenelle coupons, then bought (2) 12-pack rolls @$5, used (2) 75¢ coupons, received a $3.50 catalina coupon (which I always factor into my deal cost) – resulting in a net cost of $5.00 for (2) 12-pack packages of toilet paper.  For someone who needed to stock up even more, they would simply want to acquire 2 additional coupons for each additional deal (before the deal expires on July 31). 

Catalina Offers are a tool many extreme couponers use, enabling them to know about current and upcoming deals and to be able to plan for purchasing items at rock bottom prices. 

In a future article, I’ll write more about the different kinds of Catalina coupons, CouponNetwork.com, and how you can use strategies such as stacking, to reduce your costs even more.  

* Wording is paraphrased in order to summarize the content for this article. 

- - - - - 
Current Catalina Offer for Hamburger Helper – Click for Hamburger Helper
I’ll be watching for a sale on this item at Safeway or Smith’s. (Save up to $2 on your next order/purchase when you buy 5 or more.)  And the picture shows a product called 'Asian Helper' that I've never noticed before - has anyone else tried this type of skillet meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment